From:
"Howell, Cynthia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 1996 12:01:00 EDT
We could sure use some help with our 11-week old male, Huck.  He'd just had
his second distemper shot on Saturday and was doing quite badly.  He's
gotten over the injection miseries, but is paralyzed in his back legs at
this point.  We've decided he must have injured his back, as Dr. Williams
suggested may be the case, during the few minutes he had been able to escape
our watchful eyes.

Pertinent info:
-x-rays showed possible swelling between first and second lumbar vertebrae
-2 injections of dex and 1-1/2 days of 2.5mg prednisone bid
-no deep pain
-some tail and minimal feet and leg movement (curling, stretching feet and
 toes) may be reflexive or being stoic about deep pain?  movements seem
 intentional:  pushing against my hand to move away, coordinated stretchi ng
 when sleepy, etc.
-maintaining anal tone
-will not (cannot?) urinate on his own (expressing his bladder for him at
 this point)
-physical therapist said looked like jammed vertebrae (spinal growth plates
 didn't show on x-ray)
-eating, drinking, and otherwise healthy

Has anyone else out there had a back-injured ferret?  What was the prognosis
and outcome?  What sort of a time frame should we expect (any?) recovery?
Are there any other meds/ treatment anyone can suggest?  What sort of long
term problems (e.g.  bladder infections, etc.) might we expect?

We just lost our first ferret, Oscar, to a hidden blockage.  We've only had
Huck for about a week and a half and we're absolutely miserable.  It's
Monday afternoon and his improvements have been so slight.  We just don't
know what to expect.  Please help.  My email address is
gshowell@email1.msmail.ohiou.edu..  Thank you so much for any help you can
offer!

Cindee and Myron and
Huck