From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 10:18:18 -0500
I talked with Jen last night again.  She said there are 60-70 ferrets
needing surgeries.  What we need are transporters and homes for the ferrets
and shelters that can take them and if they can take sick or only healthy
or a mixture of both.  These little ones really need us to help them and we
don't want to over-burden any shelters or homes.  If you can take 1 or 2
that's saving those lives, if you can take more that's saving the rest.
I reiterate, don't over-burden yourselves.

If you can provide a home or help with transporation, please email me so
we can get this coordinated.  I need to know how far and what direction
you can drive and how many cages you can carry.

I don't have a time-frame as of yet but I do have permission from Jen to
find responsible, reliable, loving shelters and homes for the ferrets.
She wants to make sure the ferrets go to good homes and shelters.  After
what these little ones have been through they really need those of us
that can help to help.  There is something for everyone to be able to do.

Jen is not sending cages with the ferrets, she is keeping them so we will
also need carriers and cages for transport.  Right now I'm limited on phone
time so I've got someone else working on the calls.  As soon as we find a
location to send the carriers, water bottles and cage cups to I'll post it.
If anyone has an extra carrier laying around (or 2) and can attach a water
bottle and cage cup and maybe a hammock (I make mine by purchasing cloth
place mats from second handstores and attaching with wire shower curtain
holders) and a small cuddle blankie that would be most helpful for
transport.  Some type of small litter box such as a cardboard box will do
in the the back of the carrier, just something to relieve themselves when
needed.  If enough of us donate a cage and set up that will save the cost
of having to purchase these things and many of us do have extra's laying
around or stacked in the garage/shed/closet.

There is a lot of planning and ground work to do.  Is there anyone in the
Layton Utah area, or anyone that can physically go there to help coordinate
our efforts?

There are only about 210 ferrets needing help in this situation and over
3000 members of the fml.  Our hope is that we don't have enough ferret to
go around.  :-)

I'm only on email during the work day.  I can be reached in the evenings
at 785-456-8337.

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services