From:
"Dawn Smith, LOS National" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:00:22 EDT
>Well this is where I got upset....The man asked me what color they were
>and when I told him that they were sable, the man told me that he didn't
>want those ones..... he wanted a pretty one.  I told him color shouldn't
>matter if the ferret is a pet because the personality should matter.
>Also most times the ferrets choose their champions.  So I told the man
>that he would need to get the ADV testing done on the ferret before I
>would even attempt to introduce any other ferret to his own.  The man
>told me that he would not spend the money to test them if I was only
>offering him sables and he was told that I had other colors... it upset
>me that the man thought the sables weren't pretty.

First, I would like to clarify that I only had SABLES available.  And the
reason I won't adopt to him is because he didn't want sable but because
when I asked him to ADV test his own ferrets before bringing them to my
house, he said that he won't waste his money on his own ferrets, so he
can see sable ferrets.  So this man, would not spend the money for his
own ferret's health and for the safety of other ferrets.  Even if I
wanted to adopt to him (which I wasn't after the ADV comment), I only
had sables available.

Also sables are one of my favorite colors, they are not my all time
favorite, silvers and mitts are.  But I own the ones I do because of
their temperments and personalities.  Also if someone only wants one
color and refuses to even met the ferret, they are judging that ferret.
Also you talk about judging, aren't we as directors or operators of a
rescue/shelter, judging the people we meet.  We are trying to be a good
judge of character, to me, that man lacked character.  Maybe someone will
adopt to this man but I didn't have what he wanted and if he stopped
there, I won't have gotten so upset but the man went to tell me that
Sable ferrets were worthless, that's what upsets me.  It's like someone
saying a blonde or brunette or redhead is worthless and is not worth
it.  It's the same thing.  You were talking unliving items.  A car is
different.  They make custom colors for people that want a different car.
But you cannot help that you have the color skin you do and this man was
saying that because these ferrets were sable they weren't worth anything.
It won't have matters if he said Albino, Silver, Cinnamon or Chocolate,
this is where some abuse cases come from, they didn't like the color, so
they hurt them or didn't care for them because it wasn't what they
wanted.

This man started off sounding nice but he got snippy with me when I told
him that he couldn't have a male and female, that it would be two males.
Then the sable color.  And then he refused to protect his ferrets and
mine against something like ADV.  He was refusing his ferrets welfare.
How does he know his ferret doesn't have ADV?  He didn't think it was
worth the money to get the testing, but I really wonder if he would have
spent the money for a color he did want?  Also there are still some
shelters out there who do not ask people ADV or ADV test themselves and
what if he brought his ferret there and causing an outbreak?  Thoughts
like that were in my head.  I told him I only had the sables available
from the beginning.  This man spat on the idea of a sable ferret and that
should have been the end of the coversation (1 minute long) but he didn't
hang up.  He continued on and I repeatedly told him I only had sables but
he continued.  I am sorry if anyone misunderstood me, but i think we can
all agree this man wasn't a good candidate.  If you don't agree that's
your decision but in all my years experience as a shelter operator, he
was not a good candidate for adoption.  I never met his own ferrets but
my friend at petsmart told me the nails were very long and sometimes
people just need to be shown how to clip nails and they are fine.  He did
not get updated shots on his ferrets and when I asked him he avoided my
questions.  Another tip off.  I asked no flames and I still on the post
and on my emails, get anonomous posts flaming me.

If you don't agree, then we will just have to agree to disagree but
please read the full story.  I didnt' have what he wanted so he won't
have adopted from me.  You have to judge someone looking to adopt, you
judge their character and their knowledge of ferrets.  This man didn't
fit what I would adopt to even if he had said another color.  People can
be decieving to get what they want.  I have no doubt this man would be
turning in his ferrets after a year or two.  I listen to my gut feeling
and I am usually right.  I dont' know anyone who would have adopted to
this man if they had heard the coldness in his voice and his comments.
It gave me chills down my spine.