Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 2009 11:28:19 -0800
After reading Randie's post about the manager at her local Petco not
receiving pertinent info and wondering why, I decided to talk to my
sister-in-law. She used to be a manager of a Petco after working there
for several years. According to her, Petco doesn't offer very good
employee education and they're pretty bad about notifying employees
about problems - such as the fact that ferrets can catch many of the
same viruses that humans can catch. So basically, it's up to the
manager and/or employees to do the research on their own. However, they
sell so many different types of animals in their store and information
changes ALL the time, that doing the research would be a full time
job! I've been thinking about emailing Petco's corporate office and
requesting that they offer better education to their employees. There
are numerous times I've gone into that store and received bad
information - and some of the employees refuse to admit they're wrong
because they think they're some kind of expert because they work at a
pet store! Luckily, my sister-in-law is very educated about a lot of
animals as she is an animal lover herself and is owned by dogs, birds,
ferrets, insects, amphibians, reptiles, cats, etc. She was able to
educate her staff very well but she's no longer a manager and that
store went downhill fast. My sister almost bought a baby rat there, but
she found out the poor thing was very sick before she did. So sad.

Anyway, as for the "other stuff" - I just have a quick question - how
do you give your ferrets food and water in their carrier without it
spilling all over the place? I just have one of those small Pet Taxi
carriers and it's big enough for my 2 fuzzies. The only thing is that
the little snap-on food/water bowl that came with it is pretty useless.
It's very shallow and the food/water spills all over. So any
suggestions would be great! I was thinking about a small mouse-sized
water bottle and a lock-on food bowl, but I think the wire door is too
small for that. Also, they're only in their carrier to go to the vet
so I only need enough food and water in there to last a couple hours.

Thanks everyone!

Melissa

http://www.zazzle.com/china_cat84*

http://www.etsy.com/shop/artbymelissa

"Only a ferret can successfully steal your heart and keep you from
ever finding it again!" ~ Myself