From:
"Sharon M. Estes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:38:54 -0500
Hi,
I want to thank each and everyone of you who offered such helpful
advice and information about my adopting ferrets for classroom pets.
Unfortunately, my post didn't make the list on the day I had hoped it
would.  The lady from the pet education center was fostering these 2
cuties and she convinced me that they would make great classroom pets.
I know, I know, I know.

Well, after reading your responses and lots of careful thought, I
realized that I had made a mistake.  My students were in no way
mistreating the ferrets.  The ferrets seemed very happy and thoroughly
enjoyed the children.  Everything appeared just fine.  But I am the last
person on earth who wants to be the cause of an animal living a miserable
existence.  Please believe that.

I do still have the ferrets.  I must admit that I've fallen for them but
I do plan on finding them a more appropriate home.  Until then, I have
spent a great deal of money on items such as an exercise pen which will
allow for extra freedom.  They have had the run of the classroom for a
minimum of 2 hours for the last 3 days.  I have checked for holes in the
walls and have made sure that they can't get behind anything I can't
move.

They are delightful little characters.  Their favorite play place is in
my arts and crafts closet.  It's dark and full of buckets, tubs, paper,
stuff that rattles, etc.  They love it!!!

In order to give me more peace of mind while they're out of the cage, I
bought them collars with bells.  The collars seemed tight even when fully
extended and when I put them on the floor, they turned flips.  So, I took
the collars off.  They then turned flips playing with the collars.
Suggestions???

Thanks again!
Sharon