Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 21:56:21 -0500
Hey all-

I'm sure many others will confirm this, but I believe the bacula just
refers to the penile bone that ferrets (and a few other animals,
apparently) have.

As if the world of animal naughty-bits were not confusing enough, I
recently read an article about Komodo dragons in which I learned the
males of this lucky species actually have two organs called "hemipena".
Go figure.

Didn't know that about Komodo dragons, but I do remember from my college
vertebrate physiology class that male oppossums (I THINK it was opossums)
have a two-"headed" forked penis, and the female has two vaginal openings.
The instructor had these "parts" preserved in formaldehyde and would get
them out to use as a bonus question (i.e.- can you identify these?) on
lab practicals!  Don't believe anyone ever got it right.....

Jamie Furr