From:
Kelleen Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 1996 03:44:48 -0800
Hi All,

I am concerned for a little one named Otis I now have.  He needed a new home
but is very depressed at leaving his old home and will eat nothing at the
moment other than the Deliver 2.0.  I picked him up late afternoon on last
Saturday.  I have never had this problem before since all the kids I adopted
came from lousy homes but Otis came from a great home with freedom and love
from what I can tell.  He was owned by a teenager who the parents say has
now lost interest in him and doesn't have the time to spend with him.
Aarrgghh!  I have told his old family they may need to consider taking him
back if he continues this way for longer than 2 to 3 weeks.  I wish he would
eat it worries me a lot.  I would love to keep him for he is very gentle and
gets along with mine but the neatest thing about him is that his coloring is
that of a baby seal.  He looks exactly like a baby seal!  Isn't that the
neatest thing?  They said before this winter he was basically a black-eyed
white but now he has all the silver markings across his back and into his
haunches.  Then little white feets.  Black as black nose and eyes.  White
underneath with some butterscotch strewn thruout all.  HE is the most
gorgeous little guy I have ever seen.  I called them to find what they fed
him, which was the cheapest crap on the market, and bought some.  All he did
was smell it and walk away.  I called again and they said sometimes they
moistened it with warm water, I tried that and he did the same thing.  He
loves ferretone and the Deliver 2.0 and so far that is all I've been able to
get down him.  Next I am trying moistening it with watered down Deliver.  He
is suppossed to like bananas and carrots too so tomorrow I will get him
those to try.  Do any of you have any ideas of what else to try other than
just giving him time to adjust if he is going to?  I will not adopt him out
for sure unless he is eating and doing ok and if he does adjust to being
here I may have to give in and keep the sweet, gorgeous little guy myself.
I would hate to put him through all this once again with another owner.  If
nothing works I will have a very serious talk with his previous owners about
promising to keep him for life.  If they are just going to keep trying to
place him elsewhere then I will keep him and figure something out.  Even if
it means feeding him Deliver all the time until some adjustment is made no
matter how long it takes.  At least I do have something he will eat and am
willing to pay the price for it which I do not know if another would do the
same.  Better safe than sorry.  My Mom and David have also fallen in love
with him and would never forgive themselves if something bad happened to
him.  His name is Otis but he will go by Otee since I am not overly fond of
Otis but don't want to change it drastically.  He is just under 2 yrs.  old
and weighs in at probably 3 to 3 1/2 lbs..  He could stand to lose a little
weight in his gut but not this way.  Any suggestions are very welcomed and I
appreciate all advice you can give me.  Either post to the FML or to me
directly.  Thank you all.

*          Kelleen & The INSANE Animal House        *
*          President & Founder of  * F.A.N.G.*      *
*        (Ferret Association of Neverending Glee)   *
*          Location : Boise, Idaho                  *
*  I'll take a good animal over a good mate anyday! *
*  All they want is lots of love and great chow.    *
*          Idiocy is our only option!               *
*      Dustin Hoffman from movie Outbreak           *