From:
Cathy Pardue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 11:21:01 -0600
Was reading the FML, glad to hear you are going to try a little longer with
your fuzzies.  Hopefully the allergy situation can be worked out.  Just
thought I'd mention a couple of things about litter, you'll probably got a
million other responses, but just in case.  I think I might send this to
the FML, too, in case anyone else has allergy problems or litter pan/toy
box confusion with their fuzzies.

Stay away from the clumping kind of litter.  With the ferret's habit of
dragging the behind after a poop, the clumping litter can cause clogs and
infections, so that's a bad idea.  You probably want to look for something
that mentions dust-free, as the more dust you have, the more aggravation to
your allergies.  You might try something that is unscented, the scent part
could also aggravate your allergies.  You might even try calling a few pet
stores or maybe even your allergist can suggest the best kinds of litter
to have around.  Even thought ferrets may not be as common, cats are, and
I would think the issue may have come up with other patients.

I personally don't use any litter at all, have to go with a naked pan
because my babies think the litter is something to dig and play in, and
potty elsewhere.  I just have to clean a little more frequently and use
air fresheners.  I keep two litter pans, have to wire mine into the cage
otherwise they get pushed out of the way and the floor gets used.  I use
stereo speaker wire and drill two holes in each side of the pan, tie the
pan right in there.  I swap a clean one for the dirty one, take it to the
bathroom, run a little water in it in the tub and pour it all into the
toilet, wipe it dry with toilet paper and flush.  Ready to use the next
time.

Good luck with your search for allergy relief, and I'm glad you'll have
the fuzzies around a little longer.

Cathy