Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 00:11:30 -0500
The economy is in a recession but that didn't stop folks from entering
their ferrets and vending at AFA's Winter Nationals Ferret Competition
this weekend in York PA. The show is a day and a half event with
seminars on Friday evening and the title and specialty class show on
Saturday.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank our most generous
sponsors for this show. Without their continued support we would not
be able to do what we do best for the ferrets! Ferret Depot.com,
Ferret.com, ZuPreem and Eight In One Pet Products are sponsoring our
4 Title Classes. Look for ZuPreem at the show, they will have a table
and always donate lots of goodies for our raffle. Ferret Depot.com and
Eight In One will be donating lots of great items for our raffle, too!

On Friday we will open the doors at 3 pm and stay open until 8 pm.
Vendors (who are interested) will be set up and ready for you to SHOP!
We will not be charging admission on Friday, this is AFA's early
Christmas present to one and all. We hope you take advantage and
participate. We will have a ferret photographer on Friday and Saturday.
We will also have three educational seminars on Friday evening. At 4
Dr. Tom Kawasaki will be giving a presentation. At 5 Travis Livieri
will be giving a presentation on the BFF and Prairie Wildlife Research.
AFA will also be presenting Travis with a check from the net proceeds
of the October Dooktoberfest show. Bob Church will round out the
evening with a presentation starting at 6 about his trip around the
world collecting ferret DNA.

It looks like quite a few newbie ferret show goers and vendors will be
in attendance, so all you veteran show folks, please, please make the
newbies feel welcome! Remember, this is the last show for the season to
do all your Christmas shopping for your fuzz, your family's fuzz and
all your other fuzz fancier friends! Our vendors come well stocked with
lots of unique goodies to make everyones holiday happy!

Also be sure to bring lots of money for our raffle. If the rumor mill
is right, this may be the BIGGEST raffle ever at a ferret show. Raffle
devas Patty and Jessie have been keeping the phone lines humming. They
keep sending me more and more and more folks who are donating lots of
really great stuff. There are way too many to list here, I will
probably have to have 2 pages in the show catalog just to list them
all.

This is the last show for AFA's 2008 show circuit, so it is also the
last opportunity for those ferrets in the running for adolescent,
alter, breeder and companion ferret of the year to rack up those vital
show points. And remember, your ferret must have attended at least four
(4) AFA sanctioned shows in 2008 to be eligible for the yearly awards.
Plus in 2008 AFA started the Specialty Ferret of the Year awards and
there are lots of gorgeous ferrets competing for those top honors.
Martin's Cages is the sponsor of our Ferret and Specialty Ferret of
the Year awards. The awards will be presented at a dinner banquet on
March 27th, the Friday evening before AFA's 2009 Spring Nationals
Ferret Competition in York PA. More information will be available
after the first of the year at www.ferret.org.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me directly at
jbferret @ mindspring.com.

Take care and I hope to see everyone on December 5th and 6th in York!

Vickie

Vickie McKimmey

Just a Business of Ferrets
www.jbferret.com
American Ferret Association
Director of Shows and Special Events
www.ferret.org
Author of Ferrets: An Animal Planet Pet Care Library Series Book