From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 20:48:39 -0500
I wish that I could tell you that I have no trouble telling whether a
ferret had been spayed and all I would have to do is to shave the abdomen
and look for a scar and...Oh, never mind.

We have all been fooled.  Ferrets spayed at 6 weeks or less usually present
with no scars we can tell - can't feel 'em, can't see 'em.

Watch the vulva closely, and watch the ferret as well.  If you even get a
whiff she might be anemic - take her to your vet for a CBC as quickly as
possible.  We don't want her to be one of the ferrets that falls through
the cracks.

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP

Join the Ferret Health List at