From:
William Alan Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 12:54:42 -0500
From:    Drew Regn <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Safeguard Cages
>I also have a question about what to cover the floors of the cages with.
>Currently I use a bunch of old towels but since they move them alot and I
>can't put them on the bottom floor or they "do their business on the
>towels". I want something that is easy to clean, that they won't be able to
>move and protects their feet from the holes in the wire.  Any suggestions?

Two suggestions.  Get the old carpet samples from a carpet store.  We pay
about a dollar a piece.  Works well for the floors they don't 'mess'.  For
the floors they do try gettin a remnant of floor vinyl.  Cut to size.  No
muss, no fuss cleaning.  Remove if they start chewing on it though.
Blockages are nasty...

From:    Jessica Woodward <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Freud is better...
>Another thing---how often should I change her litter?  I have one of those
>corner pans, and, after a day or so, she stops using it and uses the other
>corner in the cage.

Often enough that she doesn't stop using it.  Listen to your ferret not
people who aren't using the litter box.

>And, when I clean her cage, what can I use to get the smell off so that
>she doesn't asociate that corner with doing her business?

We use an industrial strength disinfectant cleaner but then we have a
few more cages than most.  Use a good strong cleanser like lysol but
rinse very well.

>PS: Is Marshall Farms ferret food better for them than KayTee?  I am
>currently using KayTee, and just found a store that sells MF.

YES!  The best food is probably Totally Ferret followed by 8in1, Marshall
Premium and Mazuri.  Next are the good cat/kitten foods.

Kaytee last I checked wouldn't make the list.  It might have changed but
haven't heard that it did.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://userwww.qnet.com/~killian/zen_home.htm