From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 1995 17:51:24 -0700
To Don Wells:

>I noticed that Dr.  Williams said rabies vacinations go into the leg.  My
>Rocky got his just last Saturday on the scruff.  Is this wrong?

    Legally, yes.  While it will probably be protective, the rabies
vaccination for ferrets is prescribed to go into the muscle.  Usually this
is the muscle of the hindleg.  When a shot is given in the scruff, it is
being given subcutaneously (the prescribed method for distemper
vaccination.) While a lot of vets don't pay attention to where they give
shots, the directions are given right on the box.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR
Chief Pathologist, AccuPath