From:
Holly Amber Callaway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 10:08:24 -0500
Ok, you've all heard the story of how the elephant got it's trunk and how
the zebra got it's stripes.  Well this is a story about how the ferret got
it's name.

Once upon a time, very long ago, ferrets were known as ferrs.  These little
ferrs lived very happily in forest with all the other animals.  However,
being the mischevious little ferrs that they were they liked to add other
animals possessions to their little hoards.  Mr. Bear could often be heard
to say "That ferr ate my honey." Mrs Squirrel would moan, "That ferr ate all
my acorns." Mrs.  Bird would screech "That ferr ate my eggs." Well, one day
a human (who could understand animals, of course), was walking through the
forest when he saw a little ferr running with an acorn in it's mouth.  He
was wondering what this strange and unusual creature was when he hear Mr.
Squirrel shout "That ferr ate my acorn." Well, the squirrel's speech wasn't
all that clear so the human thought he had called the litte animal a ferret
(ate=et).  The rest is history.

So next time you can't find your sock, just say the ferr ate it.

Um, I thought of this about 1am this morining and it made me smile. I hope
it's still funny.

Lots of hugs and kisses,

Holly and Doug, Rascal and TJ (our little ferrs)