Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 08:25:04 -0500
Q: "Why do you need the entire label?"

A: Nearly everything on a label is regulated by law, including pictures
of animals, manufacturer's address, and more.  Having the complete label
allows me to inspect it for things other than what is typically mentioned
in food comparisons, such as the exact wording of the nutritional
guarantee, or the order of the micronutrients.  PLUS, I can scan the
package art and create a data base of product labels to be used to help
simplify the data charts (A picture of the package will be next to the
name, which will reduce error when using the chart).

Q: "...Why the food samples?"

A: First, I want high quality, standardized color pictures with a scale
included in the photo.  The best way to do it is to do it myself.  Once
collected in one area, the info could be used to identify unknown foods,
such as when a ferret is dropped off with a ziplock of food and it won't
eat anything else.  Just check the photos, and you can pick the one it most
looks like.  I will use a Munsell color scale to identify the exact color,
and a grain size scale to identify apparent particle size.  Finally, I will
use a pressure gauge so I can determine the exact hardness of the food.
Since a single piece of food may or may not be typical, I need to test a
large number of them for an average, so a quarter cup or so of the food as
a sample would be fantastic.  As you can see, I am making this as
scientific as possible, in a manner that can be retested or duplicated by
other people.  Each test's criteria will be explained, so anyone can do
this for themselves.

All this information will be provided in a chart-like format for ease of
cross comparisons.  When new foods are brought onto the market, they can be
added at will, maintaining an up-to-date data base for anyone to use.  It
is even possible for the data to be published in a small booklet or as an
Acrobat file for ease of use.  Perhaps the public awareness of ferret foods
MIGHT influence the manufacturers, resulting in better products.

Q: "Why do you need the [labels] so fast?"

A: The sooner I receive materials, the sooner the chart can be prepared,
and the sooner people can dump biased reports and judge for themselves from
data collected in a manner that can be duplicated at will.  I will be doing
a hell of a lot of work, and I simply do not wish to extend it over weeks
and months of time.

Q: "Are there any other...tests you will be doing on the food?

A: I will attempt to create energy and nutrient density profiles for each
food, which are NOT required on the label.  This is extremely important
information, but it is one bit of data which we are not given.  I will also
attempt to create a "cost per serving" profile, which requires the energy
and nutrient profiles, AS WELL AS the cost of the items.

Q: "What if [my ferret] eats cat food?"

A: Send that in as well.  Anything that is fed to a ferret is fair to send
in.  Once the chart is finished, we may be surprised to discover what is
considered the best food is actually someplace down the list, or a food
considered to be cheap is actually better than thought.  The more TYPES
and BRANDS sent to me, the better for all.  If you know of non-mainstream
ferret foods, you might want to get them to provide the information so it
can be included as well.

Bob C and 16 Mo' Ferret Food Factoid Fanciers