From:
Lori Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 10:27:31 -0700
We have personally taken Mojo from Amarillo, TX to Seattle, WA and back on
Delta Airlines.  Cost us $60 each way for his tickets, but well worth it.
Actually it cost us about $520 round trip to fly with Mojo because Dave
works for airline that won't allow ferrets so instead of using our freebie
passes on the evil facist employer airline, we PAID for tix on a ferret-
accommodating air carrier -- such is the life of a ferret slave, no?

Anyway, plane from Amarillo to Dallas was a little salad shooter.  Moj
wasn't too happy about noise and vibration initially but settled down and
took a nap after some reassuring words and some ferretone.  No problems on
large jets.

The feeder airlines have different regulations concerning pets in the cabin
than the majors, so make sure you check the rules for each leg of travel.
We had to purchase a smaller pet carrier to fit under seat of flying death
tube.

Reservation agent won't necessarily tell you whether segments of trip are
on Delta or one of its commuters so be sure and ask.  ASSUME NOTHING!!!!!!!
You need to proceed as if you're clarifying information with someone who
speaks an entirely different language.

During layovers we took Mojo to an area of Dallas airport well away from
gates and crowds.  Leashed him up and let him wander a bit.  No problems
from anyone in airport.  In fact, many airport folks came over to visit.
Lots of ferret education accomplished that day!  You are technically not
supposed to let animals out of carrier while travelling, but we found zero
enforcement of that policy.  Use your common sense on this one.

Dallas' FFZ status wasn't an issue either -- we asked.  Don't know if it
would be the same if Dallas was our final destination.  I wouldn't tempt
fate ...

Preparedness is the key!  Delta's policy (at Amarillo and Seattle anyway)
is that you must purchase pet ticket at counter when you arrive to check in
for your flight BUT you can call and reserve space.  Otherwise, it's first
come, first served for pets flying in cabin.  Check, double check, and
triple check that ferret is listed in airline's computer!!!!!  This will
avoid potential problems just in case several people show up for your
flight with pet in tow.

-Lo
Mojo - I earned my wings!
Wilbur - you mean you actually went up in one of those huge noisy flying
things????? NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!

-Lori