Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 14:29:05 -0700
Well I heard from the vet on Monday and he said that Skippy's insulinoma
level was at 65 and the normal is between 5 and 20.  We went through the
options and he quoted me on how much the surgery would cost.  He also gave
me Skippy's life expectancy for the medicine option and the surgery option
(not knowing if we could even do surgery).  It hit me hard because Bugsy
just went through surgery in August for an enlarged spleen and to have an
adrenal gland removed.  This wiped out my savings account.  I was praying
nothing would happen to Skippy before i could get my savings back in order
(My roommate also moved out in December so I have higher expenses and no
raise to speak of at my job).

I have decided to put Skippy on the Medication until I can get my finances
in order and get some money together for the surgery.

The vet told me that Skippys life expectancy on the medications is about
another 12 months.

I would like to hear from all of you that have or have had ferrets with
insulinoma and what decision you made.  How long did they live if they were
on the medication?  What am I in for.  Skippy is my first baby and I just
can't get over the news.  She is such a sweet thing and I can't help but
feel guilty sometimes for not catching her fast enough when she tried to
wolf down my sugary cereal before I could get to her.

Thank you in advance,
Cherri