From:
Benjamin Otten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 00:05:32 -0500
If you are looking for a "good" ferret vet in your area I would suggest
starting with the AAV (assoc. of Avian Veterinarians) web site.  They have
a search engine that finds members of that organization in your area.
Often vets who are members of AAV also see ferrets.  Since there is no
specialty boards for exotic pets except avian this is a good place to
start.

I have never clipped a ferrets nail to get a blood sample.

There always seems to be another accessable vessel.  I do use nail clips on
birds - but only to get a very small sample to assure the animal is not too
anemic.  If he was then I would not draw as much blood.  Therefore in my
mind the slight pain infected out weights the risk of killing the patient
from taking too much blood - AGAIN WE ARE SPEAKING OF BIRDS HERE _ NOT
FERRETS (don't compare apples to oranges)

I think nail clipping for blood drawing borders on inhumane.  And to open
another can of worms, as a member of AVAR I do no belive in inhumane
treatment of animals.

I would like to know what the AVAR has said on my behalf however, that has
gotten everyone fired up.

thanks for your time,

31 Montrose Ave. 2R
Brooklyn, NY 11206