Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 01:17:28 EST
>Try to work up a barrier for when you are cooking or cutting things
>if there is any chance that a ferret will be out. We have a series of
>panels that are used to make metal ferret playpens and because they
>come apart too easily we also have them tied closed. Usually they
>mostly store behind a bookcase that is outside the kitchen but when
>I need to use them I can pull them across and have the other side go
>behind a storage shelf on the other side. Then I tighten it on the
>bookcase side by placing two paperback books in there, too so the
>panels are firmly lodged. On the middle panels we hang bright ribbons
>os that a person does not accidently walk into them.

Hi ~

We have those cages too. All in all we have 4. Tim made a barrier that
fences off the kitchen when I'm cooking. He made wire holds so it can
swing back and forth. When it's closed it responds to a magnet. Most
home supply stores have a stronger magnet set than most kitchens use.
We got those. My little Miss Jazz can flat ferret under a regular door,
so to plug up the opening at the bottom of the door I use a "weather
guard." It is a strip you can tape to the bottom of the door. I found
it at: _www.thehomemarketplace.com_ (http://www.thehomemarketplace.com)
. It is item #10609527. It sells at $4.99 for a 36" piece. Because
ferrets can climb fencing Tim made a wooden barrier of smooth plywood.
I sanded the edges, and it fits in the doorway frames. It slides up and
down for times when I'm not comfortable chasing mine around at night.
So they get free time, but they are in my room with the barrier up. I
always make sure they have a "safety zone" where they can hide out if
something makes them uncomfortable. The area beneath my bed and the
corners of my closets are full of ferret beds. When they have free roam
of the house I always make sure the doors of their cage is open because
many times a ferret will put himself/herself to bed.

My guys are energetic and need fun time so the minimum time they are
out is 4 hours at a time and often more. Cambrey do you have that kind
of time? It's unfair to have them if they can't get out and play. Also
you can go online and download some articles on de-scenting ferrets for
your mom. The more information she has the better she will feel.

One of the most important things you can do for your ferrets is to
monitor them every time they run free out of their cage. I always know
where each ferret's hidey hole is, so when they disappear for a few
minutes we hunt them up. This can happen twice in an hour, or more.
Mine do well on a regular schedule, in fact they know when to get up
like little alarm clocks.

You will need to research diet too. Ferrets have a whole list of things
they should not have...plus you'll have to look into foods that can
block tiny digestive tracts, or swallowing. Kim's book should help with
that.

I'm not too comfortable with the phrase:
>All I want is a sweet ferret and the only thing I've ever got is
>those stinky little fuzzballs at Petco...

This kind of thinking is alarming. Those "fuzzballs at Petco" are
animals too. (Most commercial breeders de-scent before a ferret is
shipped to a store for sale.) These fuzzies can be de-scented; trained;
and return love as much as any other ferret. I've had ferrets from
Marshall Farms and Path Valley and privately bred. They all love.

One of the best safety rules I have is nobody steps on a blanket,
towel, or playmat in case a small fuzzbutt is hiding. Always check
washers, dryers, dishwashers, and trash compactors before turning on.
Since my ferrets like to play under my covers on the bed, nobody sits
down unless you check first. After awhile it becomes automatic. With
ferrets it's safety...safety...safety. All trash cans are up on
bookcases, or stools in case something toxic ends up in there. Ferrets
love trashcans.

All cleaning supplies are up on shelves in bathrooms, kitchens, and
laundry rooms. I could go on and on, but others will have better ideas.

I think you are doing some of the best things you can by joining a
list. Now read up, and perhaps volunteer at a shelter. Many of us
have had to wait until we got our fuzzies. It's o.k. to wait a bit.

Warmly ~

Mary
missing Calvin/loving Bandit, Flower, Snickers, Miss Jazzy and
Ling-ling (I really didn't name Flower, she came from the humane
society with that name and she is snow white like a white lotus
blossom...sort of fits!)