From:
"F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 21:25:29 -0500
Recently there has been a lot of blather here on the FML about a questionable
3 step process of breaking ferrets from biting.  The key word here is break.
The key step in this breaking process is as follows:

>Third, put the ferret into a figure-8, single buckle harness, and cinch
>the harness up so tightly that the ferret begins to choke.  Loosen the
>harness by one buckle eye-hole, thus leaving the ferret very, very tightly
>harnessed.  Do not remove the harness until 3, 4 or 5 hours have elapsed.

The proponent of this process claims this is not abuse and is indeed a
common practice for all ferrets under his care.  He is wrong.  Harnessing
any creature until it begins to choke and backing off only slightly, and
then leaving the creature thus harnessed is cruelty.  Harnessing a ferret
should indicate the beginning of a fun activity -- going out into the yard
for playtime; a car trip; going visiting to friends, schools, or even to the
store.  Harnessing a ferret should not be a prelude to punishment or cruel
acts.  We know from the vast human experiences with acts of cruelty and
torture (think about the Inquisition or the Salem Witch Trials) that a
living being's spirit can eventually be broken under enough cruel treatment.
This harsh treatment does not produce the so-called "real" ferrets as
opposed to "sissy" ferrets.  It produces ferrets with broken spirits.  I do
not believe in breaking ferrets or any other pets from unwanted behaviors.
I prefer to use patience and love to rehabilitate the ferret.

Like most shelters, I have seen my share of serious biters; from the
over-exhuberant, non- or poorly socialized ferret, who doesn't realize that
his/her bites are causing pain to their humans; to the seriously abused fear
biters.  The treatment all receive is the same.  The ferret is scruffed and
told in a firm, not loud voice "No Bite." The ferret is immediately offered
a treat of Ferretone, while being gently stroked and spoken to in a calm,
soothing voice.  Of course, this method can take some time with the
seriously abused fear biters.  But, I find that understandable.  Their
experience has been limited to abuse and cruelty.  It takes time for them to
learn that human hands can also dispense love and kindness.  I am a firm
believer that the hands that provide care are never used to deliver harm,
cruelty, or injury.

F. Scott Giarrocco
Jopal Ferret Haven
Rehabilitation Shelter