From:
Bob Rudich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 1996 11:29:00 EST
Dr. Dutton and others interested,

The real emphasis is on the rabies vaccination since that is a public health
issue.  The reality is the Mass F&G is not going to beat the bushes for
violations, especially technical ones like using Galaxy-D.  Our vet has used
Galaxy-D since Fromm went away and will continue to use it.  A number of
vets that I'm aware of use Galaxy-D and Tufts, an important information
resource, advocates it.  In June, Tufts will be conducting a seminar for
vets on ferret care.  Several vets (including Dr. Jay Gould and Dr. Fox of
MIT) will be speaking along with Dr. Kaufman of Tufts (more to be
announced).  It will be interesting what sort of consensus develops at this
event.  This will probably set the standard practice the future.  I'd bet
that the legal consideration plays a distant 2nd in the decision.  There is
a definite local perception that Galaxy-D is less likely to produce a
reaction.  Another consideration is that anyone can administer the distemper
vaccination, not just vets, and meet the legal requirement.

   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \
      /\ * )  \