From:
William Alan Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 12:20:47 -0500
Waardensburg (hope I'm remmebering the spelling correctly) has been noted in
ferrets, mice, foxes and humans.  The marks are the white marks on the head,
smaller, wideset eyes and deafness.  Not all ferrets with the markings are
deaf or even hard of hearing.  Not all deafness is total.  Why this is
controversial is beyond me.  Over on Prodigy people have discussed 'bad'
folks who want to put down all deaf ferrets.  Only thing I've ever heard
about this is other people condeming these 'bad' folks without being able to
name them.  Several breeders are in denial that these is this association.
I've also been told about two variants on the Waardensburg, one of which is
not associated with deafness.  I first came across this information in the
writings of Fara Shimbo of FURO.

I know of no accurate test for deafness in ferrets.  Some folks seem to
advocate tossing a ferrret in the air and watching whether it can turn
itself over.  I'm not convinced that a balance test is a hearing test.  True
a ferret with inner ear problems and the resulting balance problems is also
likely to have hearing problems but I've not read scientific or medical
papers linking congenital deafness with balance problems but I also don't
know where to find such.  If there are papers would someone point me at them
since I am genuinely interested.

A deaf ferret doesn't have to be a mean ferret.  Behavioral problems are
often introduced by the first people with contact with the ferret - the
breeders.  Some breeders who only are in it for the quick money are the
ferret equivalent of a puppy mill.  These folks are all over the country
unfortunately.  Behavioral problems can also be brought about by later
owners through abuse or neglect.  With patience I believe any ferret can be
brought around - I've never had a ferret that stayed really mean more than a
month or so.  That month though could be quite painful but it has always
been worth it.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets