From:
"Russell C. Baker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 15:48:10 -0500
Hi all.

This is my first posting to the list.  Have enjoyed the digests since first
started getting them about a week ago.

Last spring was looking for a pet that I wasn't alergic to (alergic to cats
and dogs), and ran across a beautiful silver mit at the local pet store.
Spent a couple of hours, spead over three or four sessions, holding and
playing with her - and lo, no red eyes and running nose!

She was my first, Mehitabel, a bit of a loner, very explorative and very
smart, but also very nervious and easily startled.

Well, couldn't let her play by herself, so a month or so later picked up my
second, Archee, a sable who loves to cuddle and go to sleep in one's arms -
as opposed to Mehitabel who doesn't like to be touched.

Let them have the run of the living room, kitchen, hallway and bathroom,
and they found nooks and cranies that I never expected.

Then found a two month old kit at another pet store, and - yes you guessed
it - another addition to the family.  But somehow three just wasn't the
right number, so within a few weeks, two more.  All in all I'm now owned by
five fuzzies, four female and one male, all named after characters in a
poem called "Archie and Mehitabel."

They all have nick-names.  Mehitabel is known as "the evil one" for her
tendency to bite my daughter's toes (doesn't bite mine for some reason).
Archie is "couchy-wouchy-pouchy-couchy" (cuddly).  Clarence is "the little
one" (she was so small when we first got her; not so small now).  Feddie,
the sole male, is the "polar bear", or sometimes the "Moose" - big, fat and
white (silver)!  The latest is P.T., or "crack-head" (seems to be always on
speed).  She once jumped off my daughter's shoulder to reach a tall plant -
missed the plant and hit the floor nose first!  Had a bleeding nose for a
few seconds, but luckily no permanent damage).

Can't imagine life around here without the ferrets, even if they send me up
the wall sometimes!

Russell