From:
Melody Tomaszewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 10:10:36 -0400
Suzanna-

How do we handle the pain of loss?  Sometimes all you can do is take
it one day at a time.  And keep a sense of perspective.  The European
polecat, which is our babys' wild ancestor only lives 1-2 years.  A
three year old polecat is a rarity.  So by giving good vet care, we have
effectively doubled or tripled their lifespan.

And consider this--most ferrets pack so much living into each day, that
each month you can buy a sick one of good quality time, is equivalent to
a year's time for a human.  Now, I am not in favor of keeping any of my
babies alive just for my personal desire, and I will not do heroics just
to keep them alive and miserable because I can't let go.  Sometimes, like
in Stephen Kings Pet Semetary "Dead is better."

I just lost Sweetie, the first ferret I ever got, at the age of 6 years,
3 months.  It was one of the hardest, losses I've had, because she had
been with me the longest of any of mine, but it was okay for her, because
she was ready to go.

Yes, I mourn her, but she had a good life, and I will very fondly
remember her.  The trick is to remember the good times, and don't pull
back.  If you withdraw because of the fear of pain, you will miss out on
a lot of the joy of life.  As Kahil Gibran says, the cup that holds your
sorrow and the cup that holds your joy are the same cup.  The deeper your
sorrow, the deeper the joy you are capable of feeling.

Melodyt and the nifty nine