From:
Faith Pollifrone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 06:35:38 EDT
>From: Matthew Saunders
>
>Faith asks whether ferrets can be walked like a dog and how far they can
>actually go.
>
>None of my ferrets have ever been "heel" trainable like a dog.  I've read
>in a variety of places that there is no way to actually teach them to walk
>like a dog...but I personally never say never.  However, both P.B. and
>Sherlock have walked on harness up to a mile and were looking for more.

I wanted to know if they actually walked like a sizeable distance instead
of stopping here and there.  I've only had my ferret since January and he
hasn't been outside much since it's only just started getting warm so how
should I know how he walks or how far. :-(   One person on the list said
they walked their ferret around the block.  How should I know how this
person walked their ferret around the block???  I was wondering that after
the field experience.  Not that I didn't like the field experience I just
wondered if they actually did walk with you instead of them leading you and
the stopping and starting thing.  I was wondering if the person had done
some training or what.  Now I know.  I get a kick out of his antics but now
I know not to take him for my exercise walks because I won't get anywhere!
That is why I was asking.  I walk for exercise so I was wondering if it
were a feasible thing to do with him.  Guess not.  I'll take my walk then
I'll do his type of walking.

Faith