From:
Cynthia Ritenour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:59:02 +0000
Hello all,

Back in March of 09, my daughter and I went to volunteer at our local
shelter. It was nearing time for her birthday. I thought for sure, if
she wanted and truely wished we would bring someone home to our forever
palace.

Miss Fifi chose Jessica, with a multitude of kisses and snuggles. We
later changed her name to Sugarfoot because she's so sweet. My daughter
earned the name "Whisperer" at the shelter, as many of the little guys
just wanted to be near her, and she loves to play with, love up and
snuggle anyone within reach.As much as Sugarfoot chose Jessica, Jess
chose her. She kept going back to the cage, taking her out, and talking
to her. Sugar had had adrenal surgery already, and was 5 years old.

After talking much to my daughter, having her understand that Sugar was
older, and every day would be a gift, she let me know that she still
wanted her, she was the one. We also discussed her disabilities, as she
is blind and cannot hear very much or not at all. (We haven't figured
it out) Once home, she totally took on care, and medications, (we
learned together), for Sugarfoot. She makes sure that her little furry
has everything she needs. This has been a good learning experience for
her, and I'm proud of the care she has given Sugarfoot.

Since then, we have restarted treatment for adrenal since she started
losing fur again. We've had emergency visits when Sugar's glucose
plummeted. She takes pred for it now. And worst yet, when we went in
for insulonemia check last Sat., they found that she has lymphoma with
prognosis of 1 month or so....bloodwork shows that it has not gone to
her bone, kidneys or liver, but her lungs are cloudy, and now she takes
an antibiotic and nexium for that.We'll be going for a recheck in a
week and a half to see if her lungs have cleared. Needless to say, this
is really hard for Jess. With Sugarfoot approaching 6 yrs old, and her
health issues, it's a matter of time.

We had a hard start this year losing our 3, 5 1/2 year olds to various
cancers in January and then our 8 year old to lymphoma the beginning of
Feb. She is no stranger to this pain, but with Sugarfoot, I think it
will be much worse. If there are any suggestions on how to help her
work this through, please feel free to share.....

Sugarfoot still runs around and plays and gets into everything. She
loves her soup and her snuggle time. She loves her hoomins, though will
eat any other ferties. You'd never know she is so sick as shee does the
rounds of the house just like always. Send prayers that when it is
time, Sugar goes peacefully in her sleep, not with a rush to the vet.
If you have any suggestions to help with Jess, let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Cindy and the whole herd