From:
"Heyn, Ela" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:31:41 -0400
I received an email asking if I could please explain how SOS distributes
funds (and how shelters can ask for help).  So, I thought I'd answer the
question on the list, since it might be a concern others have as well.

Basically, we distribute funds on a periodic basis as we have them, and we
also do occasional fundraisers for special "emergencies".  One of the most
recent emergencies that we raised funds for was the NJ Xmas Rescue, when we
asked for donations *specifically for that cause*.  The funds that came in
earmarked directly for that cause were spent on *just* the NJ Xmas Rescue,
with any extra to go to other needy shelters.

Most of the time, though, the funds we raise go into a general "pool", from
which we can draw for periodic distributions.  When that occurs, we go over
the data we have received from the shelters (for the Shelter Update), and
try to determine who has the greatest needs.  (We've also occassionally
received requests from suppliers seeking to donate product, who wanted help
in identifying the neediest shelters.  We passed on the information we had
to them).

Also, sometimes, a shelter specifically requests help, or someone requests
help on behalf of a shelter that needs it.  In those cases, we usually
review the situation, make some inquiries (including asking the shelter
owner how best we can help), and we review our finances to see what we
can do.

Regardless of whether it is due to special request or a periodic
distribution, there are only two ways we are "allowed" to give monetary
help: through a direct donation to a vet (towards the shelter's vet bill),
and through a donation of product.  (This could involve our ordering
product to be shipped to the shelter, or giving the shelter a gift
certificate to a particular supplier/retailer, etc.)

I hope that answers any questions; please feel free to email any (or all)
of the three of us if you have any further inquiries!

- Ela ([log in to unmask]), Georgia ([log in to unmask]) and Judith