From:
"Jeff, Roseann, Lenny & Trixie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 11:36:37 EDT
Hi All,
I was hoping to get some advice on my Lenny's problem.  I'll try to be
brief.  Lenny, he is 2 1/2 years old, had his rabies shoot on 6/10/00.  He
had the usual lump on his back reaction as last year so I let the vet know
for the record.  At the same time he started having odd stool.  He would
back up and leave a dime size drop of goop, yellow and clear stuff, sorry
if that's to descriptive, but this would happen about six times a night.
His stool would be normal during the day even at night when we came home
from work, but as soon as he was let out it would happen again but not
every night or morning, but a couple of times a week.  I stopped giving him
the new treats I had bought because I thought he was having a reaction to
the fruit pieces.  Then he had his distemper shoot on 7/1/00.  He swelled
up where to shot was and was not eating as much or playing as usual.  So on
7/3 I called to vet and they said they wanted to see him right away.  She
gave him a shoot of antibiotics and fluid for dehydration and as she was
feeling his belly he flinched and she felt a lump.  X-rays showed a round
spot in his intestines that may be a partial blockage or an intestinal
infection due to the shoots either one could be causing the bad poops.  So
flagyl and amoxi it was for 10 days.  He immediately started feeling better
and eating tons.  He would have great poops for a few day but the bad stuff
would come back for a night or 1/2 day but overall he was back to normal.
On 7/26 a follow up visit.  X-rays show the "lump" was gone but he still
had the every so often bad poops.  My vet recommended a GI study of his
intestinal system.  She explained that Lenny would drink this liquid dye,
he loved it, and it would highlight his whole system and thru a series of
x-rays she would see if it traveled properly.  I agreed and left Lenny
there.  She called, I went and all looked normal.  She showed my the x-rays
and I was amazed at how it all looked.  Her only other recommendation is
trying a different food, Eukanuba low residue vet prescribed food for the
intestinal system, it is blander than the TF that he eats.  I'm weaning him
on it and I know the food change can also upset his belly.  I'm going to
wait about a month and hope for the best.  My vet also said if that doesn't
work he may have a sensitive system or intestinal disease, I forgot the
medical term she used, and he would have to go on a low dosage of medicine,
again I forgot what kind, for the rest of his life.

My question, has this happened to anyone else?  If so please advise.

He is active and eating well chasing Trixie, his girl ferret love, and wild
and funny as ever. We did check all his toys and the whole house for any
foreign objects that he may be getting into and all is fine.

Thanks for any help,
Roseann and her Lennylove and Trickygirl.