Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 19:52:42 EDT
Have you ever wondered how much poop one ferret could produce in 6 weeks?
Well, I never did, although it astounds me on how much is produced on a
daily basis.....

Got the usual call - he stinks, come get him and his cage.  This is a now
13 week old ferret that the 18yo son has owned for 6 weeks.  I go out there
and the smell hits me - yuck - urine/feces.  When I walk through the house
to where the ferret is living, I noticed *why* there is such a smell - the
cage has never been cleaned.  Ever.  The piles of stools are about 10" high
and about 8" deep the width of two floors of a small superpet cage.  There
is one hanging climb in hammock, an unknown type of food and a water
bottle.  They actually offer me the cage - and there was no way that this
stinky cage was going in my car, so I politely declined.

The smell was so pervasive that the smell was in the ferrets fur - no name,
they never 'got around to it'.  I did explain that the odors could have
been eliminated by daily cage cleanings, but at this point the family and
I wanted to get that ferret out of that house.

He's a little cutie - big eyes, kit coat - a chocolate MF kit.  He seems
happy to be out of the smell and is a very well mannered playful ferret.
Since he has a mousy look to his face, we decided on "Stuart" for a name...

Lisa Leidig, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
http: www.ferrethaven.org
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854