Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 00:30:25 -0500
A big, cold hello to all the fuzzies and their pet people!!  I found FML
about 2 months ago & I think it's great!  I completly fell in love with the
little dears while working in a pet store.  I learned after leaving about
not keeping tham in pine shavings--but I never reccomended keeping them
_directly_ on the shavings anyway.  I was wondering if it was o.k. to keep
them in a cage with a wire mesh floor w/ pine under the mesh?  I know the
reason this pet store did so was because the 6-7 week old kits we got were
frequently not litter trained yet--YUCK!  :} The pine helped absorb the
urine and a little of the oder.  I know that cat litter would probable the
FML's choice for lining the cage bottom, but it's more expensivefor the
stores.  Should I suggest they use just newspaper--or will the "seperation"
from the shavings be o.k.?  The store manager & I are on pretty good terms,
so maybe she'd listen to suggestions.

After reading all the ferret & snow stories I decided to try Reeba out in
the snow/sleet/ice.  To say that she was not impressed would probably be an
understatment!  The first time I had her on a leash.  She wondered briefly
into the back yard, around the gas tank, and made a bee-line for the back
door, where she promptly started scratching!  I took a bit of pity on her
and put her on my shoulder while I wondered down to grab the paper.  She
jumped down off my shoulder, (luckily the harness caught her so she wasn't
hurt) and wondered a _tiny_bit and then looked up at me like "O.K.  Mom,
it's cold out here.  Where did you put the door?!?" I admit it, I laughed:}
But I did promptly take Reeba back inside and set her down in front of the
furnace.  She returned to her normal play activities.  No grudge there!
Maybe if we get some _REAL_ snow instead of this icy mess, she will like it
better.

Oh yeah!  I don't use any shavings in my cage at home!  I have the Mid-west
Ferret Playpen for my smallest daughter.  She loves it!  Only problem is
occassional falls from her bed when she forgets to wake up _before_ getting
out of bed!:} She also gets quite a bit of free time around the house.

Keep lovin' those critters!

Wendy Bollinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reeba <Mom won't let me have my own address! *POUT, POUT*>
Kayla <I'm a CAT!  I was here first, & I WON'T pretend I'm a ferret!>