From:
"Michael W. Landis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 08:44:27 -0500
I have been lurking on the FML, posting very infrequently for a little over
a year.  The information found in the heart of the FML has proven invaluable
to me.  Kudos to BIG.

I started out using an aquarium for a cage before I found out that was
improper.  My excuse for that is that I was following the lead of the pet
shop at the time...and it was only for a few months.  Then I got a proper
wire cage for my little friend.  About 8 months later I got a second wire
cage and tie-wrapped the two cages together for added room.  I put them in
their cage(s) only when I am not home.  That gave them a total of about 12
square feet of room on the two two level cages, tie-wrapped together.

Having seen those massive KritterKages in the internet, I was intensely
jealous, yet didn't like the $400 plus price tags involved.  I finally made
my own large cage.  I just had to tell somebody how proud of myself I am for
the end result.  It is 3 feet wide, 3 feet long, and 6 feet 4 inches tall,
and has 4 tall levels.  The 4 inches is for the height of the litterpan,
which I sunk into the first floor.  Total is 36 square feet of romper-room.
It is on a base with universal casters (wheels).  Cost was about $130.
Labor took about 10 hours total over the weekend...an I only lost a little
blood on sharp edges.  I am still adding little improvements to it now and
again.  It is infinitely expandable/modifiable.

The ferrets absolutely love it.  They do laps up to the top and back down
again.  They also climb to the top on the outside of it and I run over to
get them down.  All the time they have the "hey, what are you doing?" look
on their little faces.

I do have a question.  I have been looking on the web for the dimensions for
the large KritterKage (Kritter Kondo(sp?)) for comparison but they don't
have them.  Does anybody know?

The only downfall is that after I transferred all of their stuff to this new
cage there is a lot of open space left.  Now I have to make a few trips to
the ferret store to fill up the blank areas.  More chances to show off my
best friend in the whole world ;-}