From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 1996 09:26:13 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    "Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets and the Beach
>I have heard that *salt* can cause brain damage to a ferret...

To my knowledge, salt is no more toxic to a ferret compared to any other
mammal.

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Bandit treats/The Program

Yes, you can use the program at the cat dosing for ferrets.

>From:    "Cinda B. Beach" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vet Question
>Hi.  I haven't written in a long time, but now Fingers needs you.  She had
>a lump next to her anus months and months ago that lost surrounding hair,

When I encounter lumps near the anus, I always consider an anal gland tumor
top of the list.  They can be cystic and mimic abscesses.  Yes have it
removed and biopsied!

>From:    Becki Kain <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: message for vets
>tieke is a six year old, doug mckay ferret, fixing date unknown (he was a
>drop off to me), who is showing signs of insulinoma.

A lot of times, ferrets with insulinomas have microscopic tumors not visible
on surgery.  If the blood work supports the diagnosis, start him on the
medical therapy.

>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vet questions
>Now I know that if we were to premedicate a ferret before vaccines we would
>use Diphenhydramine.  I understand this is an antihistime which would block

The standard dosing for cats will work fine.

>From:    David Caudill <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fwd: SICK FERRET - VET ADVICE NEEDED!!
>My ferret has lost about 70% of her hair and is not eating.  The vet doesn't
>know what it is .  She will eat a little bit of fruit (grapes and water
>mellon).  I feed her Iams daily.  She is turning a yellowish color.

Top of the list is hyper adrenal disease.  Check out the FAQ on adrenal
disease and discuss the options with your vet.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH.