From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:26:23 -0400
For any readers out there that have not gotten their issues or do not
subscribe to Ferrets Magazine -- there is a VERY INFORMATIVE article
updating readers on ADV (Aleutian Disease Virus) which affects not only
ferrets but now has been found in living and dreceased pet skunks.  It
is possible that ADV may be passed from one species to the other in pet
homes with both ferrets and skunks!

"Heartbreak & Hope "- (IMO) a well titled article, was written by one
of our most experienced caretakers of ADV ferrets, Danee DeVore found
herself in the middle of ADV when she took back a ferret which she had
placed with an individual.  It destroyed her ambitions of breeding
wonderful ferrets ( I know how wonderful they were I had acquired some)
and thrust her selflessly into a quest to find answers and a solution to
the ferret ADV epidemic.  Danee has once again attempted to share her
wealth of knowledge with ferret community in this progress report on
the road to finding a cure to this dreadful disease.  Please read this
article and pass it on.  I did I mailed a copy of this magazine to our
State Veterinarian.

Though not nearly enough vets take ADV seriously, and even fewer ferret
owners take seriously the need to test for ADV it can impact the lives
of our pets seriously- rendering ill ferrets an inability to respond to
protocol medical treatments, possibly spreading this viral contagion to
unsuspecting ferret ( and pet skunk) households and more.  In this issue
of Ferrets Magazine ( May/June 2006) answers to many questions are
revealed in text that average owners can easily understand.  Some
questions answered are: what is ADV, how does ADV affect ferrets, where
to get ADV testing done, what is needed to prevent ADV, how far to a
cure for ADV.

It is possible to develop a vaccine for ADV prevention and ultimately
erradication.  THIS IS IMPORTANT stuff and though it is a time consuming
and financially burdening process.... the fear of ADV erradicating
ferrets as we know them today ( it IS a possibility) would be a thing of
the past.

Dr Branson Ritchie ( head if the U of GA research team) who has been
instrumental in the isolation and progress of testing development has
projected that a cost of $240,000.00 or $60,000.00 a year for four years
would be the cost of developing a vaccine.

That seems like a huge amount of money to all of us BUT when you divide
it up with the number of current subscribers on the FML it amounts to
about $25.00 per person for 4 years.  Now, I don't know about you but
it seems that an investment of $25.00 per year times 4 years is a great
savings over the costs of vetting an ADV ferret.  It is also cheaper than
the office call and one vaccination for either canine distemper or rabies
for any ferret.

ADV is a real threat to the ferret community.  I encourage those who are
not familiar with ADV to take a few moments - invest in purchasing a copy
of the magazine - sign up for the [log in to unmask] list and
strongly consider helping to make a stand to develop MUCH NEEDED vaccine.
Right now money is the only barrier to isolating this disease from the
ferret community.

Please remember if your not testing your ferrets-- you don't know if
they already have ADV - it is a hidden tragedy until it is advanced and
consuming the ferrets.

Alicia Drakiotes,www.ferretwise.org
animal advocate and a friend to ferrets