From:
colburns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:46:55 -0500
Dear Marilyn-

I am sorry that I apparently offended you with my possum post, I had
no desire to do so. That is one of the problems with funny posts,
sometimes they sink teeth when they were only meant to cause a smile;)
I applaud you for taking care of your new friend. Truth be told I used
to feed a possum that would come round to my Mother's house when I was
still young enough to live there. He was very partial to my spaghetti,
but he clearly preferred it without sauce. It used to get all over his
snout, and he would make messy, ineffective swipes at his face to clean
himself. We called him Dave, and were all very sorry when he stopped
coming around after about six months. Now I feed the possums in my
Mother's back yard in Mexico, where their Nuhatal name (Nuhatal is
the language of the Mayans, and it is very much alive) is Tlacuache.
(Tla-kwatch-ay) The little fellows walk right beneath my chair if I sit
outside quietly on the patio at night, listening to the gekkos peep and
the banana trees rustle in the breeze. The Tlacuaches are partial to
stale tortillas, but prefer meat scraps and fruit.

Please don't tell my Mom. Not about the Tlacuaches, and *certainly* not
about the entire Mariachi band of cats that I feed when I am there.

Alexandra in MA