From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2010 11:12:42 -0400
I read far too often or hear from others that they just can't take
the pain of loss and are not going to open their hearts and homes to
ferrets anymore.

For every ferret that could have had a good loving home with these
people, I am sad.

For every ferret that suffers at the hands of ignorance, I am sad.

For every ferret that is passed from person to person, never finding a
real home, I am sad.

For every ferret that sits in it's cage for hours on end because their
people don't have time to let them out, I am sad.

For every ferret that goes without vet care, nutritious diet, loving
care, I am sad.

I've been working with ferrets for 25 years and my only regret is for
the ones I've not been able to help. As painful as loss is, knowing
there are ferrets that could be helped and weren't is more painful
to me. I can't help them all, and for each person that stops helping
ferrets, that leaves more that will not know love.

To me, love includes proper care, veterinary care, nutritious diet,
comfortable accomodations, plentiful socializing and out of cage time,
clean environment, affection, play, attention, toys, safety, and more.
It means meeting and exceeding the wants and needs of those you love.

When a little one leaves our realm in my family, I know the little one
was well loved and taken care of. I know that even though they had a
rough beginning, when they entered my home that changed for the better.
Sure there were adjustments to be made and we had trials and errors,
but in the long run, they knew they were loved, safe and well cared
for and I do as well.

The more difficult cases, the little ones that came from good homes,
that were loved, but the family got a puppy/kitten, or they moved, or
they were expecting a human baby, or they just got tired of taking care
of the ferrets, didn't have time for them any longer, didn't want to
face the senior ailments, etc. - these are especially heartbreaking
because the ferrets don't understand why their loving family left them
with a stranger in a strange place. They lost their home and their
family....

Life goes on, but why people cause heartache to those that love them I
will never understand. Sometimes situations dictate, but sometimes we
can work through them to reach a viable solution that is best for all
involved, if we try. Each of us has to make our own decisions and need
to be comfortable with them, not only at the time but in the future as
well.

Life is hard enough without someone making it harder on an innocent.
Please take responsibility for your actions and try not to hurt other
beings.

tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org