From:
Becki Kain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 19:21:49 -0500
Hi all:

Nero, our 6.5 year old guy who I've posted about previously, took a severe
turn for the worst yesterday.  He had lost a lot of hair, in classic adrenal
cases, but he was eating TF and drinking on his own.  Dr. Laurenchuck
perscribed Albon suspension for him and the diarherra seemed to go away.  He
was even up and running around (although at geezer ferret speeds) on
wednesday.  Yesterday, he was apparently more dopey than usual.  we gave him
pred, pedialyte, whipping cream, and the antibotic (not all at the same
time) and he seemed to perk up.  This morning it was apparent he had not
gotten out of the bed we put him in last night, and he was not responding to
any stimulus (How *do* you get their mouth open when they're in a state???).
His breathing was incredibly shallow.  We got a very little amount of Karo
syrup onto his gums and rushed him to Dr. Schiff.  Nero was too dehydrated
to draw blood, so the doc gave him a couple of sub q shots (to which my
husband joked, look Nero, you're a camel) and started him on an IV of
fluids.

The doc called up later to tell us that Nero has a raging infection and his
liver is not acting right (forgive me for not knowing the terminology, as
I'm getting this second hand from my husband).  He could not tell if the
liver was the cause of the infection or was having issues because of the
infection.  Nero is still much too dehydrated to operate on, so we wait.

beckers
--
becki kain
"words are just dust in deserts of sound."  eldritch