From:
Joanie Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 11:37:24 -0700
Dear Renee - please don't do it.  Breeding your little darling "simply for
the experience" is NOT a good reason to breed a ferret - or any animal.
Please think about this: what will you do if she has 5, 6 or 7 babies - will
you keep them all to ensure that you always know they are being well-cared
for and loved?  If not, will you be absolutely positive and at peace with
yourself for the rest of your life because you KNOW for sure that you have
found wonderful, permanent homes for all of them?  Do you care whether or
not you add to the problem of already too many unwanted ferrets and not
enough qualified, loving homes for them all?  Don't you know that you would
be responsible for the outcome of the lives of these little creatures?  Have
you ever visited a ferret shelter and seen all the sad little faces of those
who have been abandoned, neglected, abused, and are still waiting for
someone to take them home and love them?  Maybe you should do this before
you make that decision to breed Tinkerbell.  I have over 30 ferrets of my
own who have come out of situations like that.  I don't mean to be hard on
you, but I don't really think you understand the consequences of what you
are considering.  And I haven't even mentioned the high mortality rate among
newly born kits, nor the stress that breeding can put on your pet, or the
possibility of complications with the pregnancy.  It's not worth it for you
to "dabble" in this just for the experience.  Please leave the breeding to
the experts.

Sincerely,

Joanie Williams and Huggy, Pansy, Daisy, Buddy, Desiree, Smokey, Mickey,
Rascal, Sparky, Fooie, Dinky, Cinnamon, Frosty, Tippy, Parming, Maranda,
Danci, Pepper, Mischief, Seraphine, Silky, Honey, Thiefa, Cloe, Precious,
Natasha, Romey, Dusty, Snowy, Timmy, Tommy, Petunia, Shammy, Nicky, Scotty,
and Juneau.