From:
Shyla Tessmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 12:44:56 -0400
Hi everyone.
I'm hoping to get advice on including things in my fuzzies' diet besides
their regular food.  Right now they eat a mix of Pro Plan Chicken
kitten/Pro Plan Turkey & Barley adult cat/Totally Ferret.  They have
access to this dry food at all times.  They also get various treats (plain
Cheerios, commercial ferret treats, and occasionally bits of bananas,
apples, or raisins), Ferretone, and hairball remedy.  Aside from that, I
want to know if anyone feeds their fuzzies anything else.  I have read a
book about a natural, raw foods diet for dogs and am wondering if something
like that would be good for ferrets (and cats for that matter)too since
they are also carnivores.  I've chatted with a woman who includes chicken
and boiled chicken bones in her ferrets' diet.  I'd be hesistant to feed
cooked bones since they're so sharp, but wonder if ferrets could have raw
bones.  I've also read in Ferrets magazine that in Australia, where
ferrets' diets tend to be more natural (i.e. wild prey or raw foods), there
are less incidences of the more serious diseases we have in the United
States.  This same idea generally holds true for dogs fed a natural, raw
foods diet.  All in all, it sounds like an animal would tend to grow up
healthier and experience less disease if fed a less processed diet.  Does
anyone have personal experience with this?  I'm not looking to take my kids
off their dry food, just supplement with other foods.  Oh, one more thing:
Would it be okay to make up and freeze a batch of Duck Soup, gravy, or
another similar food and feed it once in a while to perfectly healthy
ferrets, just for a different type of snack?  I know these foods are
usually made for sick ferrets.  Please contact me directly with any advice
or ideas.

Dooks,

Shyla and my business Lynk, Rocket, and Mykah