From:
Tanya Grave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 13:07:40 -0700
First I would like to say how sorry I am to read of all the sick babies
and the struggling parents to make them comfortable thru their ordeals
and remaining days here on earth.  I can't imagine the day I will be left
holding a lifeless fur body to be put to rest.  I feel for each of you.

The question I would like to ask is why does it seem that so many young
age ferrets are coming down with old age diseases - lymphoma, adrenal,
insulinoma...?  Does anyone think it is diet related including the
quality of water?  Or how about vaccinations - do you think this
contributes to cancer growths?  We all know the value of a BARF/chicken
gravy/duck soup diet - but what about the quality of ingredients that we
use?  Specifically commercial bought meat (chicken/beef from commercial
grocery stores) and all the growth hormones that are used in production.

I have 9 ferrets (and 5 dogs) - only one (fert) has had adrenal (she was
5 y/o at the time and to date healthy) but all others seem to be thriving
and healthy.  If you've read my posts in the past (on the FML) you will
know that I do not vaccinate annually but rather sporadically.  I also
only use only health store quality meat/egg for duck soup and bottled
water.  (Kibble is available at all times.) I try to give my animals a
healthy, hormone, pesticide, and additive free diet as I can.  I clean
their cage/litter box 2x a day and change the bedding once a week (or
more if needed).  I try to provide as clean of an environment as I can.
I'd like to think all of this helps in their overall well being.  Since
food is the single most consummable item our ferrets intake, I would
think the quality of food and water we give them is contributing to their
good/poor health.  At least this is my observation and opinion.

I feel very fortunate that all my animals are as healthy as they are.
I'd like to think/hope that my caretaking has helped or maybe I just got
lucky with healthy babies.  I don't know, but either way, I'd like to
hear people's opinions on what they think about food in relation to
illnesses.

I really think this is a topic worth discussing that can contribute to
the future well being of all animals.

In ferrets we trust, Tanya