From:
"Heyn, Ela" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:40:15 -0400
I just received a curious email about some rather rude (in my opinion)
posts about S.O.S. on another ferret list out there.  The post in question
cast aspersions on the "solicitation" practices of our organization.  Since
it *was* on another forum, and not this one, I won't get into that .. but
since it seems there may be some "misconceptions" about S.O.S. out there,
I thought I'd briefly (or not so briefly) post to reiterate who we are and
what we are doing.

If you have concerns about it, please feel free to email *directly* to me
to address those concerns.  I tend to find this preferable to criticism
which I find out about through third parties, since it's easier to answer
comments which I know about.  I, in turn, promise to email you directly
back rather than posting behind *your* back.  Deal? :->

Anyway, S.O.S. is the organization currently running a raffle to raise
funds for homeless ferrets.  We are a registered 501c3, run entirely by me,
Judith White ([log in to unmask]) and Georgia Wood ([log in to unmask]).
We'd actually be more than happy to have other people join the organization
to help us out, but haven't gotten any volunteers to date!  Be aware that
it can take a bit of your time sometimes ..  ask my boyfriend, who watched
me spend portions of my vacation last week sorting out little paper raffle
tickets on the floor of our hotel room, rather than going to the beach with
him ... ;->

We don't draw salaries or any other form of compensation from the
organization, although we do enjoy the "warm fuzzies" we get from helping
out.  We also all three have full-time jobs in addition to SOS ..  so
please excuse us if it sometimes takes us awhile to get back to you!

We formed this organization around 1995 to help shelters that needed help.
At the time, there were several shelters in critical need, and several FML
members suggested that it would be great if we had a central fund to help
them.  Georgia, Judith and I volunteered to do this ..  and with the help
of an "advisory group" consisting of several shelter owners, etc., we set
up S.O.S.  The first Christmas we were in existence, we had raised about
$400, and we used it to buy and ship ferret food from Totally Ferret to
about 10 shelters.  (Totally Ferret was VERY kind and also made their own
donations toward this effort).

Since then, we've done several fundraisers, including a ferret colouring
book (drawings donated by Linda Gaylord), bumper stickers, and our current
raffle.  Georgia puts a lot of time, effort, creativity and love into the
"Kouri's Fans" Club and Website which she runs to make money for SOS.
Judith puts a lot of effort into handling our finances, and deserves
particular credit for compiling and editting the HUGE SOS Shelter List
which is sent to the FML several times a year.

It consists of an update on the name, address, and vet.  info for shelters
all over the world, and their current status (in terms of bills, number of
animals, etc.)  I know it takes hours of her time, and she really deserves
a lot of credit for it.  A couple of weeks ago, she was struggling to
complete this monumental task before going for major surgery ..  and she
managed to send it to BIG the night before she entered the hospital.
(BTW, if you have emailed her since then and haven't heard back ..  that's
why.  She's not currently well enough to get back onto email ...)

So, that's what we are, and what we do.  Other listmembers have been VERY
kind and generous as well, and we couldn't operate SOS without all of you!
We had a lot of money donated early this year to help with the NJ Xmas
Rescue, and we've had kind members run events to raise money which they
donated to us.

I just want to thank all of you again for your support ... we couldn't do
it without you, and I feel good knowing that we are helping.  As always,
if you have ANY questions, concerns, suggestions, or criticism about SOS,
please feel free to email us directly.  I will include all three of our
addresses in the signature.  Thank you!

- Ela ([log in to unmask])
Georgia ([log in to unmask])
Judith ([log in to unmask])