From:
Dee gage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:06:00 -0800
A backyard breeder here in Michigan recently decided to stop (at
least this is what she has told people).  With that, she's released
approximately 30-35 whole young ferrets to 4 different rescues that are
already overwhelmed.  This cost of the neuters/spays is going to amount
to more than we can handle financially; and we could really use financial
help to defray our vet expenses.  We have more females than males and
the spaying is double the cost of the neutering.  Personally, I never
imagined I'd be in this situation, I really didn't.  The more I think
about it the angrier I get that a backyard breeder would take the "easy
way out" to "cull her stock" as I see it.  We're so accustomed to taking
in surrenders that we never gave the thought of the financial drain of
this large number until the reality of it all sank in.  The three of us
are a bit frazzled by it all.

The rescues involved are Deb's Ferret Rescue & Boarding in Montague
(Deb Fitzgerald), MI; Waters Wayward Weezils in Hamburg, MI (Donne
Waterstadt); and West Michigan Ferret Connection in Grand Rapids, MI
(Dee Gage).  The 4th rescue has chosen to work independently and is not
registered with SOS.  I only know what I've heard & they apparently took
five, have given away three and are all set with the two they have.

I've been in touch with the Angels from Support Our Shelters and they
are intervening on our behalf, God bless them.  On behalf of the three
rescues above, SOS can receive any donations earmarked for the "Michigan
Breeder Rescue" to help with our spay/neuter costs.  If people would
rather send money directly to the rescues or their vets, that would be
appreciated, too.  We're on the SOS shelter list.  My vet, Dr. Michael
Phelps at Coit Animal Clinic, is scheduled to perform the surgeries for
Deb and me beginning November 21.

SOS is also helping us via ebay.

Donations/contributions can be sent to:

~~~~~ Support Our Shelters ~~~~~
          100 Walsh Road
       Lansdowne, PA 19050
          610-626-6647

Helping the Shelters of the Ferret Mailing List
    http://www.SupportOurShelters.org

Tax-Deductible Donations through PayPal to:
  501(c)3 non-profit  Tax ID: 23-3062176

This is all very humbling and very much appreciated.  Thank you very
much.

Donna told me one hob, Spike, was suppose to be on the cranky side and a
biter but he has turned out to be one of her favorites.  He just wants
attention.  Donna also has a little chubby blaze jill, Nina, who
everybody picks on and she's just a sweetie.

Deb has 3 hobs who are in rut and are aggravating her asthma.  She also
has 5 jills.  She thinks one of them is pregnant and perhaps a second.

I have a beautiful, cuddly, 4 lb. black hob, Buddah, who is not in rut
(yahoo).  So far he's been an introvert and it's been fun to watch him
come out of his shell.  His routine is hiding in the closet, behind the
sofa, IN the sofa and under the bed.

Dee Gage

West Michigan Ferret Connection