From:
Michael Janke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 08:24:03 -0400
>From:    The Countess <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Cremation Fees
>
>How about it?  What does everyone else pay for this service??

I'm in Miami, FL and our local pet cemetary, Pet Heaven, charges by the
weight of the animal and if I recall correctly, I paid around $90 to have
Beasley cremated last year.

I also had the question, "Am I really getting back the ashes of my
animal?"  Of course they're going to tell me yes, but I'm fortunate in
that I have the former general manager of Pet Heaven working for me at
my place of business and as soon as I found that out, I asked him.  He
assured me that when one pays for a private cremation, the ashes you get
back are definitely from your animal.  At least at this place.  I can't
speak for others.

He also filled me in on some of the details on how it works.  When the
body is cremated, the only thing left is bones.  There are nearly zero
ashes left from the body, since it's mostly water to begin with and the
oven is like a couple thousand degrees.  They have a crushing device that
pulverizes the bones afterwards and this may be why the "ashes" sometimes
look different from one cremation to the next.  I guess it all depends on
how long they leave the remains in the machine that pulverizes the bones.

Not a pleasant topic, but thought some would like to know a few of the
details.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael Janke, [log in to unmask]
* South Florida Ferret Help Line, 305-752-7040
*
* Website:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.ferrethealth.info
*