From:
Christina Mearns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 12:22:43 +0200
Hello,
I have a problem with one of my ferrets.  Teddy, 1 year 10 months old,
male MF ferret has lost a lot of fur on his tail.  He is very lively and
slim.  One vet told us that it may be just lack of vitamins, so we give
him (and the other ferrets) an oil like vitamin the vet gave us.  I was
not very happy with this diagnosis, and so we went to another vet.  This
vet thinks it may be a fungus or mites.

Teddy has lost a lot of fur over the past 3 weeks.  He has some light
brown crusts on various parts of his tail and the tim of his tail seemed
quite dark.  The vet took a fur sample and we are waiting for the
results.  On closer inspection the other ferrets also had some of these
crusts.  I have been given a fungus cream to put on everyone's tail twice
a day and homeopathic tablets for Teddy (testosterone and Agnus Castus)
and an oral 'mite' tablet for everyone to take once a day.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  I know what fur loss on the
tail usually indicates.  Am I just kidding myself and this is the early
stage of adrenal?

Please let me know what you think.
Christina
Taz, Teddy, Sylvestre, Luna