From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 11:15:52 -0500
Runny poo - Kaopectate.  If diarrhea persists for more than 24 hours a trip
to the vet would be in order.  Diarrhea can be caused by different things -
change of diet, stress, parasites (most commonly coccidia), bacterial or
viral.  Any other symptoms?  Fever?  Vomiting?

Insulinoma - Teddy Bear lived to 8 1/2 and I was able to control her
insulinoma by diet so when meds aren't possible diet control may provide an
alternative.  I've read that Brewers Yeast is helpful and include it in all
my recipes.  Protein should be increased, feedings should be more frequent
(special recipes).  I've compiled a list of recipes - if you'd like a copy
please email me.

Anti-freeze - This word strikes fear in the hearts of the strongest ferret
person... We had an incident in our area.  At 12:30 a.m.  the phone rings.
An emergency.  When I heard those words all I could say was "oh God, oh God,
call Larry (our vet)".  7 of 8 ferrets out playing were found in the off
limits garage, several gathered around a tub of diluted anti-freeze that had
been drained out of the vehicle that day but not put back in because a bolt
had broken and the parts store was closed.  While the caller called our vet
I frantically ran from room to room looking for my books (they were on the
bookshelf, of course) and looked up the treatment.  Minutes later I called
and asked if she had given them hydrogen peroxide (works well when you don't
have syrup of Ipecac) and she had.  Next step was activated charcoal.  Where
do you get activated charcoal after midnight?  Good question.  Local
veterinarian or human hospital, whichever is quicker.  In this case it was
the hospital.  While she is out picking up the charcoal I'm on the phone
with poison control (Note: call the 800# not the 900# because some chemical
poisonings are covered by the companies that make them and you aren't
charged anything - antifreeze is a covered poison).  The Dr. is very helpful
and truly concerned.  (reminds me I need to call her back and update her)
When she gets through administering the charcoal (not only into the ferrets
but on the dog, cat, carpet, herself, etc.) I asked if the vet had mentioned
the drinking alcohol.  She said no, what dose.  I thought 1 cc every 3 or 4
hours for 24 hours but recommend she call the vet back.  The vet also
recommends she keep the kidneys flushing with 100 cc's of fluids daily for a
week.  She now has 8 (she treated all 8 that were out) drunk, full, woozy,
very agitated ferrets.  The following day I called Rick White and he
recommends switching to wine because of possible alcohol poisoning (which
was also a concern of the Doctor at poison control) and to get them up and
moving and keep them moving.  So at their 6:30 dose they are switched to
wine which they don't mind near as much as the bourbon.  Two weeks later the
ferrets are doing well thanks to her quick actions and continued treatments.
If your ferrets ever get into anti-freeze time is of the essence.  Induce
vomiting immediately then call your vet!

Hugs to all.  tle