From:
"Bill Gruber, FML Moderator" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 03:35:25 EST
If you are looking for a place to stay for the 10th Anniversary Celebration
we've put together a few suggestions below for mid-priced hotels.

But first, here's an overview of the hotel situation in the Walt Disney
World area.  I'm writing this in the middle of the night under a deadline
to get the info out tonight, so it's rough and I imagine some people won't
agree with me, but here goes.  Please write to the FML-10TH list or to me
if you have questions.

I've arbitrarily broken things down into 4 categories.  First:

Many of the best accommodations in the area are on Disney property.  These
are first-rate hotels and staying there has many advantages, not the least
of which is proximity to the Disney theme parks.  Transportation to all the
Disney attractions is free and frequent so you don't need a car, plus the
hotels are well run and safe.  The main problem with them is that they are
rather pricey.

During big events these hotels fill up pretty quickly -- after all, if
you're on an expense account why not stay at the best?  If you can afford
to stay at a Disney hotel, by all means, reserve soon.

Category two is large resort hotels outside of Disney property.  Places
like the Marriott Orlando World.  Also expensive, (usually over $100/day)
but less so than Disney ones, though not as convenient.

Category three are mid-priced hotels ($40-80) in surrounding towns.  For
example, Kissimmee is very close and has some outstanding values.  They may
be on a busy and rather ugly road (e.g. Irlo Bronson (Rt 192)), but most
offer free or pay transportation to Disney and there are plenty of stores
nearby.  I'm listing a few of these below.

Category four are low-priced hotels ($15-$40/night).  There are many of
these too, and in my opinion all are decent, but some people have concerns
about security, noise, and such.  Keep in mind that competition among hotels
in the area is *extreme*.  Bad places don't survive down there and good
deals abound.  Even in fairly busy times there's a good chance at least
some of these places will have vacancies and they may even give *much*
better prices to walk-in customers than to those calling ahead to reserve.

Here are some mid-priced hotels in case you want a place to start.  I've
visited all of them and think they're all quite nice and clean.  All have
scheduled transportation to Disney parks (some may charge for this) and all
rates are for up to 4 people in a room!  So, the point is, you CAN spend
a lot and get a lot, but economy places are everywhere and are quite good.

Travelodge Suites                          Reg $54 lot view/$59 pool view
5399 W. Irlo Bronson Highway               but they will give us a group
Kissimmee, FL 34746                        rate of $48/$53 to anyone who
407-396-7666                               says they are with the Ferret
800--45SUITE                               Mailing List (tell them Chuck
Microwave/fridge in all rooms.             authorized it if questioned).
All rooms are small suites with pull-out
couch in addition to beds.
Walking distance to 24 hour food/shopping.

Best Western Eastgate                      Regular rate is $49
5565 West Irlo Bronson Highway             *PETS* $10/extra
Kissimmee, FL 34746
407-396-0707 or 800-223-5361
Average place, but included here because they allow pets.  Walk to some
stores.

Courtyard by Marriott Maingate             $109.
7675 West Irlo Bronson Highway
Kissimmee, FL 34747
407-396-4000  or  800-568-3352
Above average ... included here because they have a parrot in the lobby
that greets you when you arrive :-).  Large rooms.  Restaurant in hotel
for breakfast and lunch.  Walk to some stores.

Hampton Inn Maingate                       $67 includes breakfast
3104 Parkway Blvd                          We're negotiating with them
Kissimmee, FL 34747                        and might get a lower price.
407-396-8484

Nice place -- set back from the road quite a bit on landscaped grounds.
Need a car to get to stores (though there is a lobby store).

Bill