From:
Chris VonSeggern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 1994 17:12:16 -0700
Regarding the anonymous post about the Animal Control agency that puts
down ALL ferrets that nip--

I would think it would be to your advantage, since ferrets are legal in
your area, to let FML members know where this is and who runs the agency.
It sounds to me like someone at the top has a personal problem with
ferrets, a suspicion I also hold against California Fish & Game.  I would
be willing, and I'm sure I'm not the only FMLer, to write letters to this
animal "control" agency on behalf of ferretkind.  It might not create a
policy change, but it would at least let them know that they're being watched.

ObStory:  A few days ago, my parents had a graduation party for my older
brother, who just received a graduate degree from Berkeley.  This is the
same brother who has been eating up the California government's
anti-ferret propaganda and warned me not to turn my back on Scooter.
Anyway, I brought Scooter down so Dan could see he isn't the armor-plated
vicious killing machine Dan thinks he is.  Of course, the rugrat had other
ideas.

I handed him to Dan after a couple minutes of letting them check each
other out.  Mistake.  Not ten seconds after being handed over, Scooter bit
him right on the vein inside his elbow, hard enough to draw blood.  I was
shocked.  Scooter continued to be the perfect gentleweasel for the rest of
the day, but now my poor older brother will never learn what ferrets are
REALLY like due to the little #%*#@$%*@'s reinforcement of the stereotype.

*sigh*

Chris and
Count Scooter the Vampire Weasel