From:
Rick Roller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 15:46:44 -0600
The hearings are over and I must say that I am disappointed with the
turnout.  But it goes to show the political mentality of this state.

Of the six hearings held to discuss issues concerning the new Salt Lake
County Animal Ordinance an average of 3 people showed up to each.  The
first night had the most but the final three was me and some guy from the
county attornies office.

Needless to say there was no aurguments against the legalization of
Domestic Ferrets or any aurguments against the education requirments.  I
SUPPORT THAT.

NOW FOR THE BAD NEWS.  Even if this ordinance passes, which it should.
Domestic Ferrets will only be legalized in the UNINCORPORATED areas of Salt
Lake County.  Thus, we are right back where we started from.  Only this
time we have to do battle with the individual cities.  Right now
Taylorsville is the only legal city to allow the possession of Ferrets.

NOW FOR THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION: IF they are still illegal, then why
can everyone sell them.  Well Ferret Fans, this is how the old and new
ordinance look at things here in the wonderful BEEHIVE state of confusion.
Its not up to the pet store to know what is legal and illegal to own, its
up to the consumer.

So as part of my new campaign, I am going to contact the local media i.e.
Ron Gephart, channel 2 news, and see if he is interested in doing a
comsumer beware ad.

We will also be starting a petition in every city that is not going to
legalize them.

IF YOU LIVE IN SALT LAKE VALLEY please contact me.  I don't care if your a
U.F.O. member or not.  I will need participants from all of our cities to
help.

ThanksRick
United Ferret Organization (note new address)
668 Union Square Ste 234, Sandy, Utah 84070
The United Ferret Organization is dedicated to the protectection of the
Domestic Ferret and education others about the wonderful companion they
make.