Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 11:05:42 -0500
Here is a cute story for everyone to enjoy.  My little Moser is such an
intelligent little girl.  I finally figured out how to make a collar for my
3 ferrets that would actually stay on them.  It is made of leather shoelace
and a bell.  I tie the lace in a strong knot around their necks and since
the shoelace is so thin it is difficult for them to use their little hands
to pull the collar over their heads.  Hah- I finally out smarted them this
time!  NOT!  This collar has been the best thing ever for about 5 months
until just recently.  I took Moe into our home, because she was with an
owner who should never have had a ferret in the first place.  This person
kept her outdoors in a fish tank on cedar bedding, and never really paid any
attention to her.  She was 9 months old and hadn't been spayed and was
probably fed cheap cat food if anything at all.  Anyway, Moser found a
wonderful home with us and loves the boys (Norman and Gizzy) who play with
her and keep her entertained.  One day Norman's collar was off, and when I
found it the knot had been untied.  Hmmm...I guess my knot wasn't tight
enough, but why are the ends wet and semi-chewed?  No problem- new collar
for Norm.  Then a couple of days later his collar was off again the collar
looked the same- untied knot, semi-chewed, and wet.  There is no way that
Norm could have done it himself.  Then about a 5 days later both Norm and
Giz were missing their collars.  Same description on the collar as before-
knot untied, semi-chewed, and wet.  So, I started thinking- Moser is the
only one with a collar still on.  Hmmmm- the boys must be asking her to get
the stinkin' collars off of their necks, so she does it at night while
everyone (my husband and I, Norm, and Gizzy)is asleep.  My gang never stops
amazing me I'll tell you.

Melanie and the gang (Gizzy, Norman, and Moe)