From:
Jennifer Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 13:52:50 -0400
Easter weekend was not the best time at our house....

My daughter's ferret Snowflake 'played' with her hamster who escaped from
its cage on Saturday.  Can't blame the ferret.... obviously no more pocket
pets in my house....

Yesterday as I was starting Easter dinner, we found our silver mitt, Jack
(the pretend I'm dead so she'll open the cage and let everyone out ferret),
under the desk in the rec room unresponsive and barely breathing.  He was
fine 15 minutes before when he was nawing on my leg as I tried to clean the
cage and dance around him...

A night in the ER and now at the regular vet's has definitely concluded
insulinoma.  He will be on prednisone for 2 weeks to stabilize and then in
for surgery he will go.  I am educated (though not experienced, this is a
first), but my biggest question is, what do I give a raisin crazed ferret
for a snack??  He loves ferretone, but would trade a cagemate for an extra
raisin!!  Any suggestions out there from moms and dads with insulinoma
fuzzies???

My logical guess is pounce type meat treats or baby food meats.  But,
wanted to poll everyone for what their fuzzies have adapted to.

Another question - the cheweasels - anyone know ingredients, how much sugar
in those things???  Jack hoards them from everyone and appears suddenly
with one every so often.

Jack is doing great and will be coming home tonight after a fasting blood
glucose test.   Thanks everyone!!

Jen and Gang