From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 20:38:07 -0400
From the Kalamazoo Gazette (town on southern MI, didn't get the feed, it was
in a column with other small articles), [29 July 97].

>REPORT SAYS FERRETS LIKELIER TO BE KILLED
>Flint - Ferrets are more likely to be killed out of concern over rabies than
>other domestic animals that acutally are more likely to have the disease,
>say experts who want to see changes in treatment standards of ferrets.
>
>State and local officials are beheading an average of two pet ferrets a week
>after biting incidents, The Flint Journal reported Monday.
>
>In two recent cases, a man was jailed for refusing to say where his ferret
>was and another went to the Supreme Court.

Yay!  Good to see some relatively positive press.  They got the domesticated
part right!  Two ferrets a week!?!  Things happen but obviously people
aren't getting the word about the laws and so aren't being careful enough
about letting people handle their fuzzies, or not getting the word about the
chances of being rabid being almost nil, and be panic'ed by Public Health
officials.  Talk Talk Talk to anyone and everyone who will listen.  Pass out
FAQ's.  Tell people why you wouldn't let them handle your ferrets.  If you
have a nipper ask your vet what they do if bit - take gloves if you feel
it's necessary.  Insist that you be the one to hold your ferret during their
shots.  Take along some ferretvite or cat lax and show your vet the ol'
let's distract them trick.

Again I have to say it - if ferrets were less accessible at pet stores and
bought from responsible breeders or rescue - they'd be more informed.

Which brings me to another comment.  Someone posted recently about ferrets
being considered "caged animals" in Japan.  And just who do you'all think
started shipping ferrets to Japan as "perfect apartment pets"?  Despite the
lack of vet care, info, food etc.?  Marshall Farms that's who.  They just
don't care where their ferrets end up.  I'm sorry, I can see buying from a
pet store till your more well informed but to continue to support that
behavior after being on the list and getting all the info available here -
just seems incredibly selfish.

Mary, Boris, Giesela and Booker

[Moderator's note: Some articles are so short that it's difficult to
summarize them without essentially repeating the entire article.  I think
the above newspaper article falls under that category and is probably OK
to post -- please note it is indeed Copyright by the Kalamazoo Gazzette
though.  BIG]