From:
Jacquie Rodgers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:18:30 -0700
It's just about that time of year; here's the best way I've found to
avoid hairballs.

INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO 'PLUCK' A FERRET:

When I first got ferrets, I tried to brush them and they absolutely hated
it!  From then on, I have never brushed one...but I also don't worry
about hairballs.  Here's what I do instead & it works GREAT!  I start
as soon as I begin to see lots of loose hairs in the bedding.  This is
also a good time to begin changing bedding about every other day until
shedding is complete (don't panic, it will only take about a week with
this process for shedding to be complete).

Put the ferret in the kitchen sink in very warm water (remember a
ferret's body temperature is as high as yours would be if you had a
fever, so make the water good and warm **IF THE FERRET BEGINS TO PANT,
THE WATER IS TOO WARM, IMMEDIATELY LOWER THE TEMPERATURE UNTIL FERRET
IS COMFORTABLY WARM, BUT NOT PANTING) and Johnson's baby shampoo (because
it won't sting their eyes if you get suds in them), then, after they are
all lathered up and RINSED REALLY WELL, I begin 'plucking' by GENTLY
pulling the fur in the OPPOSITE way it grows.  Not in a jerky 'plucking'
type motion, but a smooth, pulling motion (almost massaging) of fur
between the thumb and index finger....as if you had your hand wet and
were trying to rub lint off a velvet-type fabric with your thumb (does
that make sense??).

Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 'plucking baths' (over a period of maybe a
week) before they are finished shedding, but they always get finished
shedding really quickly this way and they don't ingest much fur either,
so the chances of hairballs are greatly diminished.  In time they will
get used to it and welcome it.  Ferrets get 'itchy' when they are
shedding, so the firm stroking feels good to them.  My boys always held
really still and looked like they were concentrating (as if they were
working with me to release their fur) while they were getting the
'plucking bath'.  I knew they had enough (after maybe 10 minutes or so
of plucking) for the day when they would begin to wiggle.  When they are
finished for the day, stop.  Just come back and do it again in a few days
until shedding is finished.

During the time in between be sure to give cat hairball laxative (or a
glob of vaseline with ferretone on it) every day or so to keep hairballs
from forming in the intestines (and causing life threatening blockages)
from any loosened fur that didn't get removed.

I think the two things that facilitate the plucking process the most are
the squeaky-clean fur and the very warm water.  These two factors will
give a grip on the hair shafts that allow it to pop out gently and
without pain.  I have tried doing the same plucking process with dry
fur, and also by just wetting the fur and trying to pull it, but it was
difficult and they did NOT like it at all, so I do NOT recommend that.
The good lathering and thorough rinsing right before the gentle pulling
is essential.  It's the 'squeaky clean' hair that plucks easiest.

The other thing is to be sure you have some kind of screen over your
drain so you can catch the hair before it goes down the drain.  You won't
believe how much you're going to get out!!  I use a screen-type device
and usually have to pause maybe 10 times during the process just to take
a wad of wet hair off the screen so the water can go down the drain...so
keep a trash can handy to toss handfuls of wet fur into.

Your ferret will thank you for taking time to give him/her this help
with grooming....and you could save hundred of dollars and much grief
by completely avoiding hairballs and all the problems they bring.

jacquie rodgers & kylie
(jumpingmouse)